Why are new IOMs like unicorns

Richard Jutsum

Hi I have been thinking of joining the sport for a few years having sailed an old Ikon about 18 years ago for a short time. I soon realised that obtaining a a high end IOM is impossible which out a very long wait.  I’m sure this puts many people off.  I know the performance is down to the skipper but even Lewis Hamilton could drive a Fiat 500 as fast as I could a Ferrari. Surely if there is a demand the licences builders could produce more.  In the mean time after a visit to the very Friendly LRSC I now have a DF95 and 65 with my first race this weekend if I can get the super glue off my fingers😀

• Like 1

Hi Richard,

An old Ikon is still a great boat, just not a fashionable shape these days. There is also a Widget for sale on the site.  Both these, and more, are still potentially competitive if up dated and would be absolutely ideal for anyone "working their way up the fleet".

See Brad Gibsons articles on "pimping" older designs. 

Richard

I see buying any of the open or restricted classes as being like buying your 1st car.

You can get on the waiting list for your Ferrari, or pay a premium to jump the queue, but you wont be able to get the best out of a Ferrari or you can buy a decent second-hand car that gets you behind the wheel whilst you learn how to deal with the road and traffic preparing you for something better.

Radio Sailing is no different, get a decent 2nd hand boat with good gear and you will be sailing something that is better than the skipper for a number of years. In that time you can look at your options and the designs available, make your choice and then get on the list for a new boat whilst still enjoying yourself with sailing mates.

If you are thinking of joining a club then they will sometimes have a boat you can borrow for a few weeks until you find a decent 2nd hand boat, or a member may have one.

Don't lose heart, keep your ears to the ground and ask around, there will be a decent boat pop out of the woodwork sooner than you think.

Richard, keep looking and ask Mick and Jenny at Lincoln.

In the mean time, to save you posting the same in 18 months time, put your order in with whichever builder you wish to go with.

Ikon, I looked high and low for one but could not find one, great club boat, very competitive just like many other designs of that era, Widget, TS2 etc

I just jumped in and bought the first IOM I could afford, and 8 months later with a new set of sails, it is going faster than I hoped it could go, it is the boat and  the sails but also the ability of the fingers on the control. I am not sure I could at this stage make a britpop go much faster, so I certainly believe in small steps up eg racing at club and local opens, refresh sails, race more, and maybe a small upgrade second hand Hull, and build experiences.

• Like 1

Very similar thoughts here, Richard. I got into radio sailing, and joined LRSC, just last year (having started sailing dinghies as a teen). Started with an IOM, aged n ropey, but it only cost the price of a good dinner. It needs some... ahem.... 'attention'. But as Darin and others say - for a fair while, any major lack of performance can be mostly down to the skipper! To many of us, time on the water can be a way bigger gain than a new sail or a mm extra backstay.

There's no way I would splash out on a 'Ferrari'. (Britpop if you ask many, or Venti if you ask our Commodore lol). This year though I got a DF95, and I find it's good to know that - except for [probably pretty insignificant] tuning tweaks - I'm at least in the same equipment as the rest. So then it really is all down to me 😄

As a member of LRSC for less than a year - it's a great club, and an ideal piece of water. It's a great membership - on any given race day there'll be a bunch of people willing to help and advise if you need. I'm not one of those worth asking for advice lol, but will hopefully see/meet you on Sunday! 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Richard Jutsum said:

I can’t wait to get going again and as everyone has pointed out Lincoln have a great water to sail on and friendly members we’ll see how long that lasts when they are shouting Starboard at me.😳

I've had a fellow skipper respond to my apology for my foul-up with "ah that's ok, we've all been there". 🙂

Edited by Colin Helliwell

• 3 weeks later...

At Etherow we have loads of older boats, Derek's early Widget No 267, several DC95s, Widgets, Gadgets, plus newer designs , Lintels, Vipers etc. A great friendly bunch of people despite our water not being blessed with a lot of wind! We sail Tuesdays and Thursdays and get 10 to 16 boats . My advice is to get something that is reliable, complete and similar to what is sailed, or if you find something else do some research and ask for advice.

• Like 3

I can't say better than what is written here. Find a decent boat, and if you want to go to the top, place an order for what you believe is better.

I would just add that in UK there are probably some 2nd hand Britpops available, which are still able to win any International IOM event in good hands.