Plans

RME 01

I am new to this site and would appreciate some advice.  By way of background I have sailed most of my life and have always loved displacement classes and particularly the metre boats (a great shame they moved the  Americas Cup from 12’s!). Anyhow now in sailing retirement I am thinking of building a model 6 initially just for pleasure sailing but perhaps competitively should I move near a club in future . I have built a number of planked static models in the past and whilst this would be on a larger scale I am moderately relaxed about this.  The issue is the design.  As far as I can see from the web the only commercially available plans are the Force 6 and Petrel (the latter has the advantage of the build being covered by the planking article on the site).  Are any other plans available elsewhere (being a traditionalist I would be interested if Dolphin ones were)?  Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated 

Frank Russell does a 'modern' 6m plan for a design called Cerberus.   There is a link to his website here :-http://www.frankrusselldesign.com/plans/ 

I recently saw a video of one sailing in the UK and there is a link to it here:- https://www.facebook.com/984091914998651/posts/4550253138382493  You can probably contact the builder for information via the Facebook page.

The Cerberus by Frank Russell is a nice middle of the road design there was one out at our club  for its maiden voyage on Saturday I was impressed with its windward performanc, there are some other designs around, The Romanza from Sails etc, there are also designs from John Lewis book worth looking at.

Where do you intend to sail,as the club you choose could alter the class you sail,  there archaeology 3 displacement classes out there, the six metre, the A class and The 36 R class and you really need to be sailing the same class as your chosen club

Edited by Mike Ewart
Poor spelling

Mike Ewart

Thanks for the replies;

Cerberus  looks interesting and I will follow up, likewise Romanza and the other Bantock designs which I now understand are still available . In both cases  there are some useful build photos on the web which help. On which point any thoughts on Petrel which again has useful build log  on the MYA  site?

Mike - I take your point about right boat for right club.  I presently live in the welsh borders a long way from any racing club and whilst this will I suspect change in the next year or 2  my immediate interest is in a building project for the winter with  pleasure sailing hopefully to follow in a local lake. I did look at a number of other classes courtesy of Chris Jackson's book and the MYA site. The A class boats are certainly magnificent (I saw them some time ago at Gosport) but a little large for a first project! The 36R's are at the other end of the scale and whilst one might make more sense at this stage my heart is in the 6's as "proper boats" most closely aligned to my past sailing.

Thanks Mirafiori re the Scottish dolphins.  Tempting to get me started but as above my plan is a build for the pleasure/frustration and  to keep me occupied through what looks like a very long winter!

I am certainly not one to move you away from the six metre for obvious reasons, in your situation I would go for a Rococo, easier to build than a Romanza and a popular and good all round design, I personally prefer the Ravenna but pundits do tend to prefer the Rococo

Mike Ewart

Thanks for that Mike.  i had rather come to the same conclusion having read Graham Bantocks design notes and looked at the pictures of the build - with the fairly dramatic steps it looked a nightmare to plank.  As a result I did email  Sailsetc to enquire whether Rococo plans were still available and received a firm reply that they were "if you insist" but i should be looking at Romanza!! Anyhow in the event I have decided to go with Cerberus and have got the plans from Frank RusselL  I like the design a lot and hopefully work on the shadows can start next week when our (Wales) lockdown ends and I can get access to an A3 printer. 

The next issue is to source a supplier of WRC strip for the planking. Any suggestions?