Saturday at 10:423 days With a new-build IOM boat delivery being months from order (or build list sign-up), which boat would you sign up to? Edited 9 hours ago9 hr by David Davies
Saturday at 11:523 days Are you looking for a steer on the best design, or which likely to arrive soonest? (perhaps a balance of both).I don't know at what point the builders require a nonrefundable payment but, until that point, how about 'all of them'...?Nigel Barrow has a number of useful posts if you'd like one person's thoughts/experiences on a few designs e.g. https://www.nigelbarrow.co.uk/post/the-first-outings-with-the-viss Edited Saturday at 12:023 days by Colin Helliwell
Saturday at 12:133 days Author Thanks Colin. Not necessarily looking for the ‘best’ nor the shortest lead time, but personal suggestions. The ‘best’ performing may not necessarily be the ‘nicest’ boat.
Sunday at 05:362 days You have left off the GC24 and Venti from the poll ..... both are still in production but getting on a waitlist may not be possible.
Sunday at 07:562 days Author Thanks Graham. I suppose what I’m looking for is to understand people’s allegiances to boats - why did they or would they choose a particular design. So it’s not so much a price or lead time question. David
Sunday at 08:042 days Look for a design that not just one skipper has had success with, as he's probably one of the best skippers in the World and would win with anything half decent but a design that many different skippers have had success with and its taken a mid fleeter to the front of the fleet. Edited Sunday at 08:062 days by Graham Elliott
Sunday at 15:012 days Hmmm. My ancient ISIS is consistently mid field without really trying. If my mind doesn’t wander mid race I can keep pace with the best boats in the club in 45 degree A rig conditions.
Sunday at 16:282 days If, especially, you're new to the class then you might want to factor in which are popular designs at your club - you'll then have a good breadth of knowledge and advice to tap into at the lakeside. Many designs have setup info all over the interweb, but good to be able to compare your setup with another, there-and-then, and actually see how things compare on the water.My club has many Britpops (of course), also several Venti and now Alioth. I personally wouldn't go for a new K2, for example, as we don't have any of them. (I have a Sedici, cos a tidy one became available 2nd hand. I don't myself have the inclination for the cash & delay of brand new - I'm not good enough lol)
9 hours ago9 hr Author 2 hours ago, Gary Dickens said:Thre aren't many on that shortlist....Great. Thanks.
7 hours ago7 hr I’d suggest in the current climate, whenever possible; buy British!My advice, for what it’s worth.Get yourself a britpop.Mine is about 13 years old and has been a totally dry boat til recently when I discovered a small impact hole.I’m pretty sure that the only thing coming between me and glory has been my own failings.
Create an account or sign in to comment