Saturday at 10:421 day With a new-build IOM boat delivery being months from order (or build list sign-up), which boat would you sign up to?
Saturday at 11:521 day Are you looking for a steer on the best design, or which likely to arrive soonest? (perhaps a balance of both).I don't know at what point the builders require a nonrefundable payment but, until that point, how about 'all of them'...?Nigel Barrow has a number of useful posts if you'd like one person's thoughts/experiences on a few designs e.g. https://www.nigelbarrow.co.uk/post/the-first-outings-with-the-viss Edited Saturday at 12:021 day by Colin Helliwell
Saturday at 12:131 day Author Thanks Colin. Not necessarily looking for the ‘best’ nor the shortest lead time, but personal suggestions. The ‘best’ performing may not necessarily be the ‘nicest’ boat.
18 hours ago18 hr You have left off the GC24 and Venti from the poll ..... both are still in production but getting on a waitlist may not be possible.
16 hours ago16 hr Author Thanks Graham. I suppose what I’m looking for is to understand people’s allegiances to boats - why did they or would they choose a particular design. So it’s not so much a price or lead time question. David
16 hours ago16 hr Look for a design that not just one skipper has had success with, as he's probably one of the best skippers in the World and would win with anything half decent but a design that many different skippers have had success with and its taken a mid fleeter to the front of the fleet. Edited 16 hours ago16 hr by Graham Elliott
9 hours ago9 hr Hmmm. My ancient ISIS is consistently mid field without really trying. If my mind doesn’t wander mid race I can keep pace with the best boats in the club in 45 degree A rig conditions.
8 hours ago8 hr If, especially, you're new to the class then you might want to factor in which are popular designs at your club - you'll then have a good breadth of knowledge and advice to tap into at the lakeside. Many designs have setup info all over the interweb, but good to be able to compare your setup with another, there-and-then, and actually see how things compare on the water.My club has many Britpops (of course), also several Venti and now Alioth. I personally wouldn't go for a new K2, for example, as we don't have any of them. (I have a Sedici, cos a tidy one became available 2nd hand. I don't myself have the inclination for the cash & delay of brand new - I'm not good enough lol)
Create an account or sign in to comment