• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it a 6 m ?

tiggy_cat

Having just about finished my light restoration of a Lewis "Tern" (K924 pictured) , I have got back a bit of enthusiasm for 6 metre boats. Due to a change in interests within my club, these graceful boats have been replaced in favour by the DF95 which is probably a more convenient size for most members.   Just before a weeks holiday , I put a bid on a boat on Ebay that I had noticed previously being sold as a Marblehead, but being described as 55 inches long, obviously wasn't.  The seller then replaced the ad with one querying that the boat might be a 6 metre which looked more on the mark.   He was asking for offers on his starting price and in a moment of weakness ( beware late night Ebay viewing) I put in a quite low bid.        To cut a short story even shorter, she is now mine to collect when I have the opportunity.   Will be interesting to see how close she comes to being a 6m.  If anyone has any inkling as to design or origins of the boat, comments would be welcome

6.jpg

DSCF4347.JPG

1.jpg

2.jpg

Hi TC

I saw that on ebay myself. It's a Revival 6m, designer Graham Bantock. Mike Ewart and I were discussing it  the other weekend and had both independently come to the same conclusion. It's best suited to lighter wind strength so is an ideal complement to your Tern. Which club are you  a member of?

Shaun.

Hi Shaun,

Thank you very kindly for that.  I thought that if it were a 6m, Mike Ewart would know something about it!   I am a member of Abington Park MYC and have also applied to join Two Islands as they seem to be quite active in the class.

Ian

Well just got back from the mayhem that is the British motorway system under roadworks, having collected the Revival.  Actually better than I thought it might be with no major issues other than needing the deck affixing after the internals have been sorted. Even that should be relatively easy as it has a rebate around the top of the hull for the deck to fit in.  Looks like the ali groovy mast is useable and possibly the Bantock sails although they have a couple of nasty stains which look a bit like something rusty has dripped on them.  

The mast has no proper step at present, simply a rectangular slot in the deck with a box in the hull, neither of which will actually locate the mast properly. That will probably be the first job, followed by a decent mounting point for the shroud plates as what is there (no plates on the deck at present) looks a bit scrawny.  Was actually surprised at the weight of the removable keel, it seems very heavy compared with the Tern. Must get the scales out and weigh the hull and the keel .  Next step might be to try and get a copy of the plan to see what was intended.

Ian look forward to seeing you at the club as Shaun said we discussed the yacht, and certainly the Revival is a good light wind sailer, but I have seen them performing in stronger winds just need to reduce area early . The masters might require wedges or GB  does a plastic fitting that goes in the spot and holds mast, I am at 2 Islands on Wednesday and could have a look, testing some things on my Gothica

Mike Ewart

Hi Mike ,

Thanks for that.  For the mast I was actually thinking in terms of one of Mr Bantocks mast slides on the deck and some form of mast step at the bottom of the box while I can get at it.

I am afraid that I am spoken for on Wednesday, though I appreciate the offer.  I am not sure if I am a member of TI yet, as I applied a month ago and haven't heard anything back yet. Perhaps I have been blackballed!!

Hi Mike,

Not to worry. I hope that the Secretary is better soon; I wasn't aware that Geoff wasn't well.  Just as well I didn't ring him as I know that he had a Revival at one time and I was going to pick his brains. Should have also thought about people being away on holiday given the time of year. 

Given the friendliness of the TI folk I have met, I didn't think that if I turned up that I would be sent away with my tail between my legs but didn't want to presume😀.

Regards

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 09/09/2019 at 09:13, stevevw said:

Ian

Have you sailed your revival yet? I am hoping to get to Two Islands on the 5th Oct will you be there?

Steve

Hi Steve,

The  Revival is a long way off sailing at present.  It has been on the back burner of late. The Tern is just about there though. My plan was to sneak over to Hollowell and have a quiet trial sail before its "public" unveiling but a rather silly accident at home this week end means that may have to be slightly postponed.  Have to admit to being tempted by one of the 2 Rococo 's being advertised on the 6 metre site at present though. Would like to enter the Two Islands series this year although my large grey friend here will still be around for the first leg (no pun intended) of that😄

zombie.jpg

Edited by tiggy_cat