What is It

Hi Have got my hands on an old IOM (i think) but not sure what it is. All ideas welcome - I think its a very early IOM. GRP hull, label says Squire Yachts and Sails, no hull

l number, copyright sticker inside but no other information. Last raced in St Austell, Cornwall. A label on the radio pot suggesting it was owned by someone in Lancashire. Has a carbon fin and rudder.

The plan is to learn how to sail this while building something a little more in vogue over the winter.

Paul Barton

North Wiltshire

IMG_20170522_175612sm.thumb.png.c3a357c885dcb87150b46c60ab7c03a9.png

IMG_20170522_175600sm.thumb.jpg.e252a5552104cf76281fe196080907ee.jpg

IMG_20170522_175743sm.thumb.png.5b9ec4ed90eab8147aca61414a1f7e92.png

Started out RC sailing 6 years ago with 30 year old IOM now sailing a 3D printed Alioth IOM. IOM fleet regularly see 10 boats sailing every Tuesday. 3D printed boats are now doing very well.

There is a label on the radio pot with the name S Kay and a Chorley telephone number very old as it's only 5 digits. I've done a bit of checking and there is a squire Kay who was a member of a thriving model boat club. Still no nearer to identifying what the design is though.

Started out RC sailing 6 years ago with 30 year old IOM now sailing a 3D printed Alioth IOM. IOM fleet regularly see 10 boats sailing every Tuesday. 3D printed boats are now doing very well.

I am wondering if it is squire Kay's prototype for sea scamp as it appears to have been owned by squire Kay himself so could date back to 1991 which is right at the dawn of the IOM class. Does anyone have pictures because I think this might be worth restoring to its original configuration.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the boat on the water for the first time for many years and it did reasonably well but clearly showed how modern IOM design has progressed. Even in the hands of an experienced skipper, Vs my inexperience, it was sailing noticeably slower, especially down wind. Upwind it wasn't obviously that much slower.

Needless to say a newer boat is looking very attractive. Quite what to aim for is less obvious. The sea scamp is probably best left in the museum.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty sure it is (or was) a Squire Kay Sea Scamp IOM.

Hi Barry

You might be pleased to know that I've just upgraded to an ASBO, the sea scamp is very nearly dead and leaks like a sieve, not sure of the hull number but very pleased so far. There is a small circular hole in the hull under the bow - not sure why. Any advice welcome.

IMG_20170705_144731.thumb.jpg.790c8089ec413dcae72acd656507bce0.jpgIMG_20170705_144816.thumb.jpg.e3687f0d1660e71728320b990d5d7a46.jpg

It lets the water out !!!

Assuming you are referring to the ASBO

Seriously, If you look carefully at the deck you will see a string emerging with a ring in it. Yes

Well it is in a tube / duct formed by a two vertical plates between the deck and the hull. The tube / duct extends all the way though to the bottom. There is a tie point for this string in there.

Get It ?

One of the best innovations ever in Head sail swivelling... a piece of string.

Paul

The idea of the tube is to maximise the length of the line that is the number 1 suit swivel. Barry has used this trick on previous designs like the Psycho that I sail. This swivel tube is also used on a large number of Sailsetc hull designs. It should not leak if not sealed, all of the yachts I have seen using this have had the hole taped while racing. My own boat was Barry's boat and when purchased was taped so if the designer sealed the hole who are we to disagree.

Eric