50 years this year since the first Radio Marblehead Nationals

I realised a few weeks ago that its 50 years this year since RADIOSAILING began in earnest within the MYA.   Yes I know that there were radio A class racing at Poole Gosport and YM5mOA  (Hampton Court RYC to you new commers!) ,  but by early 1970's people were starting to put radio equipment into Marbleheads and there was an explosion of radio marblehead racing around the country.  Recognising this development, the MYA and the Guildford MYC organised, in 1974, the the first Radio Marblehead National Championship.  This is an anniversary worth celebrating, and I urge all radio Marblehead sailors young & old with aincient and modern boats to join us at this years event at Datchet RSC over the weekend of the 1st & 2nd of June. 

There were 4 people present at the first Champs who are still racing today.  John Cleave, Roger Stollery, Peter Stollery, and myself.   Peter Stollery I hear you cry, surely he's much too young!!   Well yes he is, but nevertheless, he was there, in his pram with his mum!! 

So why not come & see us, we can regail you with stories about how my Marblehead  (a Bewitched) design weighed double (26lbs) the weight of the winning (Teacher's Pet) design at 13lbs.  probably why David Waugh won,  & I was a lowly 12th!!

• Like 3

I was there too, as part of the Canadian contingent. A great event in an unseasonally hot summer  - thank goodness for the beer tent!😀

John

John Ball

IOM CAN 307 (V8)

In my private capacity