36” Fifie

Trevor

I have been offered a 36” Fifie a pond yacht model of the popular Scottish fishing vessel. It is approximately 90 years old and was built by a gentleman who made full sized ones. Does anyone have any information about this type of model as the owner has no idea of value and I don’t want to short change him. Sorry it’s upside down!

image.thumb.jpeg.355f201db071a1513f7c03e2df70021a.jpeg

I have built Fifies since the 70s here in Peterhead although they were all round the Scottish coast. tell me what you know about the yacht?

Edited by Ali
place photo

Hi Ali. It was following a visit to an excellent museum in Anstruther I got into conversation with a gentleman who sent me the picture and these words.

“I have a 36 inch Fifie languishing in my workshop.  The boat is 90 years old and was built by the fishing boat builder Miller of StMonans for a man who went on to be a famous skipper.  I came by it when his garage was being cleared after his death.
The hull was damages and had a hole in it which I have restored.  She is complete with all masts and booms with sails.

There will still be some work to complete.   The lead keel is there but detached from the boat.

She was built as a free sailing pond yacht.”

Cheers

Trevor

There are two clubs in Peterhead but sailing the fifies is in decline this is the first year since 1984 that our club has not raced these beautiful yachts and the  Boddam  junior yachting association which race once a year are seeing less yachts each year and like the one you have many are over a hundred years old. The  yachts have been built and sailed in Peterhead since the 1800s