futaba t6j trim settings

You could do  this by using one of the mixers to mix the rudder channel into the throttle channel (Assuming you use Mode 2 = throttle on left).  However I don't think this would work well because it's too easy to move the stick sideways slightly without really realising that you are doing it.  A better way might be to use the exponential function on the throttle to make the winch movement less sensitive at the fully sheeted in position i.e. the winch moves less distance for a given stick movement giving you finer control at the sheeted in end of the travel. You need to select 'Lo Base' in the throttle exponential settings to get less sensitivity at the end of the travel rather than the middle.

This is one case where modern transmitters with electronic trims aren't as useful as old fashioned ones with mechanical trims.  With my transmitter I can see if I've moved the trims off-centre (and put them back to the middle if I want to).

I think you would be better off reading the manual rather than me trying to tell you exactly how to do it.

Perhaps I confused you!

On a Mode 2 transmitter (which is the most common these days):

left stick U/D is throttle, left stick L/R is rudder, right stick U/D is elevator, right tick L/R is aileron.

These definitions obviously come from model aircraft flying.  For model yachts 99% of people use the throttle channel for the sailwinch and the aileron channel for the rudder.

If you want L/R movement of the left stick to mimic the U/D movement of the left stick then you need to tell the transmitter to mix rudder into throttle.  If you set the mix ratio to 10% then full left or right stick will move the winch by 5%.  Changing the mixing sense from + to - changes whether the winch moves in or out when you move the stick left (and vice versa).

You need to think about the set-up as you don't want to over-travel the winch and have it stalled for any length of time.  Modern winches can draw quite high currents so leaving it stalled for any length of time will, at best, flatten the battery quite quickly.  Depending on the type of winch and how you have it wired, it might even overheat things and do damage.

• 2 weeks later...