Oops my boat sunk

Paul Barton

Hi I've been sailing a Barry Chisam boat an ASBO mk1 which, in heavy winds, nosedived and probably blew in a deck patch and sank like a stone. There is a lesson there. I'm after a replacement boat and wondered what would be a similar boat. I've seen a Fraktal on sale on the classified section but don't know what they are like.

All help welcome.

Started out RC sailing 6 years ago with 30 year old IOM now sailing a 3D printed Alioth IOM. IOM fleet regularly see 10 boats sailing every Tuesday. 3D printed boats are now doing very well.

we are looking at all sorts of options. My insurance looks like it might payout. I can't get over the feeling of watching a great boat take a nose dive and not come up. Its in about 12-15ft of water but 2 hours of searching today didn't find any trace of it. The sad thing is that I'd just got it going really well after 15 hours on the water in just a week. There is no substitute for time on the water. The guys at the club were fantastic and the offers of help are really positive. We will find it and get it back just not sure when. By the way what is the Fraktal like as a boat?

Warm Regards Paul

PS the good mast and sails were in my car

Started out RC sailing 6 years ago with 30 year old IOM now sailing a 3D printed Alioth IOM. IOM fleet regularly see 10 boats sailing every Tuesday. 3D printed boats are now doing very well.

Hi Paul, hopefully it materialises sooner rather than later, as for a Fractal I've only ever sailed against Graham Bantock or other very good skippers that have been sailing it.

So, very difficult to make any informed comment as to how good the design is compared to the Asbo.

Familiarity with any design and time on the water is key, further enforcement of this can be found by looking at the Birkenhead Winter series results http://birkenheadrspc.co.uk/2018/01/14/iom-2017-18-winter-series-3/ namely Graham Elliott finishing second to Rob Walsh with a ten year old Widget!

If you get really stuck on design selection by all means send me a mail and i'll try my best to help further.

Gav.

asbo-surfacing-72hrs.jpeg.29a8589d83b0a354244dc22e4402257f.jpegA quick update. The ASBO has surfaced with some help from the marvelous Cotswold Model Yacht Club members (Barry Trueman and Garry Stevenson in particular), Swindon Sub Aqua Club divers (x2). Thanks to the outstanding build quality and design from Barry Chisam the hull appears to be in good condition. The electrics and electronics are less good and will need a complete overhaul. What is clear is that the yellow #8 will sail again.

Thanks too go to the myriad people, MYA members, Builders, Designers and fellow IOM sailors all over the world who have offered and given great support and its clear to me that this sailing community is more about family than winning: OK on the water winning might take pride of place but off the water its a great team.

Simon Clarke deserves a special mention for lending me one of his spare boats and I'm most grateful to him.

I've started to look for a new boat in any case and have several feelers out for a replacement.

Of note the divers from Swindon Sub Aqua Club are happy to assist with diving lead recovery of boats and are prepared to travel upto 45 minutes from Swindon to assist. I can't recommend them highly enough.

I'll put up so pictures of the recovery in due course in a separate thread.

Also I'll make the repair/restoration of the boat a separate thread to encourage any readers. The winch will need some TLC and the remainder of the system will be replaced.

All in all a tough day at the lake but one with a happy ending. Why not come and visit us at the lake and I promise to keep my boat on the water not under it.

• 5 years later...

I had the same thing, and found some divers in Cambridge, who love finding things…. And recovered my boat. Just need to find the right type of divers.

found  a pair in Cambridge and they were amazing

Edited by Stephen B

• 4 weeks later...

My Kantun, up from the bottom, and Now at the repairers, this was its first day out, and he has found large crack in front of keel leading around into keel box and also one behind the keel. With a poor repair with Halfords glass repair kit and not epoxy, so it never bonded, Very disappointed second hand purchase, costing me a fortune, buyer beware.