• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wood supplier?

ericatcse

Stephen, when I used to build One Metres using cedar planks, I contacted several timber yards and found one who was prepared to rip down 10 X 3mm planks for me, about 1400mm long. I found that, despite being used to cutting HMS Victory sized timber, he was quite prepared for this smaller task. Even sourcing old pieces of cedar for me. I used to collect 100 or so planks at a time.

What I am saying is that there may well be a timber firm near you and it is well worth phoning round.

Cedar hulls are really light and tough and do not require skinning in glass. They have an additional bonus of being stiffer than epoxy glass hulls.

Planking for strength and lightness requires a different approach to the layup used for conventional model hulls though.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul Unfortunately I haven't had time to start I am also costing out the project and considering the options of importing hull and deck moldings etc from Australia which may be easier and not much more expensive or just spend what I expect it to cost on a second hand boat. I have also arranged to meet up with a man who has experience of planking racing yachts rather than galleons/historic boats etc to discuss the best way to plan out the planks so I am still moving forward if slowly. I currently sail a Lintle twice a week which is competitive on my club water so enjoy my sailing with a great group of skippers.

Will post updated as I move forward