Photography from a drone

Terry Connell

I have read the CAA regulations regarding use of "Small unmanned surveillance aircraft under 20 kgs" here:-

https://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1995&pageid=16012

which seem to make it illegal to record our activities unless the event is taking place more than 150 meters from any person or congested area.

Has anybody any experience of drone flying during races?

Thanks.

I think it's fairly straightforward. If they want to film you in close proximity they need to be licensed. Then they'll have their own insurance and all the nonsense that goes with it.

As most model yacht sailing seems to take part in public spaces you'd actually have a hard time stopping a drone pilot from filming you if they wanted to.

Hello Mike,

On re-reading my first text I see what you mean. What I meant to ask was,has anybody got any advice as to how I can video my boat from a drone controlled by me or my boat. The new Lily camera will follow a tracking device that one is meant to strap on one's wrist but one could put it on the deck of a boat perhaps.

Cheers,

Terry

There are plenty around that can do it. The 3dr Iris and Solo are the one's that spring to mind. They link to smartphones and assuming a good gps signal will track the phone. The Solo in particular has some excellent software for managing this and getting good flybys.

As with above, if you are using near other people (250M I think) in public you need a drone license to do all this.