Weight of wooden boats

DavidBS

john949

You are quite right, i have made glass boats using both male and female molds. My wooden IOMs come out at about 600gms so you have done well to get a 10R out at about 500gms !  As you say the key for IOMs is to make a fair stiff hull to a good design and keep the weight to minimum and in the middle. Like to see a photo of the 10R in build.  I tried making a balsa hull to see if i could get one ultra light, by the time it had sucked up my stocks of resin it was almost the same as cedar ! 

Tom

Here are a couple of pics of the hull so far.  I think I'm going to struggle to make 500gm as I keep remembering bits of structure that need to be added.  If I include the rudder and a paint job then 600gm is probably a more reasonable target.  As you can see it has both conventional and swing rigs, which adds a bit of weight.  The hull is made with two layers of 180gsm carbon/twaron (same as kevlar) and the braces, mast and keel boxes are a carbon sandwich construction.  The plug is in the background.  This is glass cloth over XPS foam and took about a week of sanding / filling to get correct.  If I was charging for my own time it would have been cheaper to get it CNC machined from a lump of aluminium!  I did also think of having it 3D printed but it would still have need quite a bit of work to finish it.

The mottled finish is the remaining filler after sanding.  My partner wants me to leave it like that as she thinks it looks like a U boat.

20221221_065848.jpg

20221221_065947.jpg