Sail storage

Trevor

Having just acquired two more yachts (Marblehead and IOM) in addition to my existing IOM. I find myself with eleven complete rigs and several spare sails. The rigs are currently hung horizontally in their sail bags. Maybe I should hang them vertically. I know they’d be better off flat but that takes a lot of space.

What do you think?

Welcome to Marblehead sailing what do you have. I have an old Stark by David Creed, 1997 boat but still very competitive, an Astrix by John Taylor/Damian Ackroyd for strong winds and an old Paradox which I'm refurbishing.

I store my IOM sails vertically in their sail bags but my Marblehead "A" rigs are too tall so they are stored horizontally. Not had a problem although they would be better off in fully supported rig boxes when I get round to making them.

Gents

It is probably best to keep your rigs within a sail box. The box provides the best protection. However, if this is not possible, I hang my rigs vertically within a dry room. Always ease the tension on the sails to prevent stretching and lightly oil any ball race fittings. After all there is some value in the rigs we use.

Regards

JT

53F50974-E0F7-475E-AC76-0D0DE9054D03.jpeg

Hi Michael, Starkers cubed, Isis and Cockatoo IOMs.  Still working through the Marblehead rigs which need a lot of repairs to split carbon and loose fittings.  Maybe I'll hang them vertically when they're done so I can keep track.

Cheers

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...