Identifying hull from sail markings

Eric Belshaw

I have bought a few yachts from an estate sale and on examination some sails had numbers. Can anyone help with the identification please. If the numbers are registered is there a hull description that could help me match the sails with a mast and a hull.

the collection has only 1 named hull, a Marblehead named Force 8 but that hull carries no registration mark.

any information will help.

regards

EB

8F0C0E20-4017-4C40-959A-DE0E7D7F19CD.jpeg

8B0FED98-018B-4BC9-96A4-A164EFE5C738.jpeg

2852824F-6CA8-4F97-865F-AFFD8C8F2405.jpeg

6A54131B-88A5-48F2-8F05-8DEE2B8D3D55.jpeg

Hi Eric,

The sails in the top picture belong to a six metre yacht. From the information I have K701 is a unique design and the boat was called 'Heather' though this might not have been it's original name. The designer's surname was Alexander and was owned by B. Wilde (probably Brian Wilde) of the Bournville club. Though the boat was given a sail number there is no record of it's notification or first registration. 

The hull will be likely be in the region of 1300 to 1400mm length overall with overhangs at the bow and stern, a vee shaped displacement hull with a longitudinal fin keel with the lead incorporated into it and possibly the rudder hanging off the back of it or maybe a separate rudder mounted further back. Have a look at the 'classic' boats that have been sold on the six metre website here: http://sixmetresailing.weebly.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html and at full size classic six metres.

The mast ( there should only be one) will likely be about 1750-1800mm high above deck and will be through deck mounted onto the keelson.

Bill Green is the registrar for six metres and may have more information about the boat than me as there is every chance he has seen/knows it.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun Holbeche

The 10 Rater and Marblehead sails look to have their full registration numbers on (i.e. 4 figures).  If so the relevant class registrar (you can find their names and emails on this site) should be able to tell you something about them.  Have you looked inside the hulls as it is normal for the registration number to be marked inside them on older boats.

Eric, 

Peter, a friend of ours in the VMYG bought a 10 Rater from a chap in Bournemouth a few weeks ago.  I suspect it may be where you got your yachts from as it was an estate sale and he saw several other hulls under some plastic sheeting and was told they had been bought as a 'job lot' by someone.  We have positively identified Peter's 10 Rater as a Rio design from 1975. The sails that came with it were numbered 1410 but we believe these are associated with an earlier 10 Rater named Sapphire III, first registered in 1955.  Its possible that the 10 Rater sails you have, numbered 1514 may really be associated with Peter's Rio but I would have thought there would have been more 10 Raters registered in the 20 year gap than the sail numbers suggest.  However if you think your 10 Rater my be a mid 50's design  Peter is open to a swap or some other deal.  If you want the full details of Sapphire III let me know.  I can't readily check the old 10 Rater register for information on 1514 for the next few weeks as the keeper is away.

I have attached a picture of the Rio design, just for interest.

Gareth

Rio.JPG

You have seen the Blue hulled yacht which by its dimensions could be a 10 rater or an A class, but from the job lot there is another boat of similar dimensions

It carries the name Canada 1 with a Canadian flag sticker on the aft deck. the weight is missing and the seg angles forward unusually. this is the boat that i think the 10 rater sails were for. What sort of weight should I add/ as the mast of just longer than the hull.

I checked each of the hulls I have and apart from Canada 1. only one other hull carries a name a marblehead with the name of 'Force 8' and the letters SLMYC.

Who could help me with the Marbleheads? I can't find a contact for the class registrar on the MYA website.

DSCF7555.JPG

DSCF7558.JPG

DSCF7557.JPG

• Administrator
1 hour ago, John949 said:

Class Registrar contact details are via the members area / officer contacts.  10R is Richard Uttley, M is Roy Stevens.

And to help further they are also avaiable on the main website through the contact us form https://www.mya-uk.org.uk/contact-us/

Hi Eric - Not sure this helps with your hull identification, but SLMYC was the abbreviation for the South London Model Yacht Club based at the Rick Pond in Hampton Court's Home Park. In 1996 it was combined with the YM6mOA (Yachting Monthly 6 metres Owners Association), also based on the Rick Pond, to form the current Hampton Court Model Yacht Club of which I am a member. More details of the club history can be found here https://www.hcmyc.org/club-history.html  

Eric,

The full sized plan may still be available from Sarik Hobbies but I could not see it on their website so you might need to contact them and check if its in their archive.

There is a reasonably high resolution copy of the plan on the excellent All Radio Sailboats website  https://www.allradiosailboats.com/img/boat/s/spook/Spook-Feb-81.jpg

The plan says the full sized lead is 16 lb but reduce it to 15 lb for radio control.

The distance from the deck to top of the mast is 80 inches.

There is an article on the design in the February 1981 issue of Model Boats magazine, probably available via Ebay.

Regards

Gareth

Edited by Gareth

This is one that Eric has had on Ebay and I made a bid on. Tentatively identified as a Lewis Cats Whiskers or possibly Cat's Paw. From its looks, almost certainly an A class I would have thought. Can't see this being thought of as a 10R, , though it could have been measured as such, I suppose . Measurements on the tape stuck to the hull are almost identical to those in Lewis's design book for Cats Whiskers.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

On 20/11/2021 at 18:54, tiggy_cat said:

This is one that Eric has had on Ebay and I made a bid on. Tentatively identified as a Lewis Cats Whiskers or possibly Cat's Paw. From its looks, almost certainly an A class I would have thought. Can't see this being thought of as a 10R, , though it could have been measured as such, I suppose . Measurements on the tape stuck to the hull are almost identical to those in Lewis's design book for Cats Whiskers.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Hi tiggy_cat

if you are interested in this I can sell it to you here for £220 but this is only for MYA members if you go through eBay the counter offer applies. Collection only remember.

Other 10R sail number. Any help with related hull description and history would be appreciated.

on the ‘Spook’ front, I have turned up a counterweight pattern from which I will make a mound and case the lead.

then I will have to decide whether to make the fin or the weight removable for transport. Any experience of retro-fitting a keel box would be useful

regards

F6826878-9E5B-4232-B729-B8786D1ABEF7.jpeg

69210C0F-8977-464F-8B57-9D84D0999812.jpeg