Starkers Cubed

Trevor

Hi I have just acquired this boat and note that the winch is in front of the mast.  Other pictures I have seen have both servos in front of the mainsheet post under a circular cover.  Does it make a difference who built the hull as to where things go?

Cheers

Trevor

6 hours ago, Trevor said:

Hi I have just acquired this boat and note that the winch is in front of the mast.  Other pictures I have seen have both servos in front of the mainsheet post under a circular cover.  Does it make a difference who built the hull as to where things go?

Cheers

Trevor

what do you mean by both servos there should only be 1 servo and winch?

• 2 months later...

Trevor,

I briefly had an older Starkers that I "sorted" from a basket case. Nice boat and sort of wished I had kept it.  However, back to your question. I fitted my usual "King Max" sail winch / servo together with a Hitec rudder servo  in front of the sheet post. I fitted a moulding for the round hatch into the deck; quite easy to do since Starkers actually has very little in the way of deck and the flange of the moulding became the upper strut for the sheet post.

Many use the RMG winch, which is much larger and heavier and seems to be often placed forward of the mast in IOM's; I have noted. This suggests that your answer may be more a question of weight distribution depending on the winch you select. The moment change around the centre of gravity is not going to be huge and the aft position would assist in preventing nose diving; but would need to be checked against maintaining the static waterline. 

Mods I made to my Starkers included changing the short ballast for a modern profile, so if this is on the agenda; any balance issues could be corrected here.

Hope that helps and is based on my small Marblehead experience.

Richard

• Like 1