IOM Burgee

Stephen Ridgway

I am new to the class having sailed dinghies and larger yachts for more years than I care to think about. My biggest problem is that I am so used to looking at the masthead burgee I really struggle to judge the wind direction with any degree of accuracy without one. Is it possible / practical to have one on my IOM (a Widget) and, if so, where can I buy one? If I do get one, are they actually visible and will they solve my problem, or do I need yet another trip to Specsavers and a lot more practice?

Hi Stephen

Burgees on IOM's are fairly rare but jib tell tales are pretty common. As you know, the tell tales can't tell you which direction the wind is coming from but are probably the best remote indication of the wind to rig perspective. At our Club we stick a small windsock in the proximity of the race course to help the members read the wind direction, shifts. However, when there's no wind!

SANY0118.thumb.JPG.0ba1c7dff69bc054f00d97e7df6c6c8c.JPG

I use a short length of silver foil fixed to a length of plastic tube(from a tin of WD40) attached to the top of the backstay. The foil lifts and flutters in the lightest of breezes and the reflective foil is much more visible than spinnaker cloth, total cost 0.

Alf Reynolds

Hi Stephen

absolutely no reason why you cant use a burgee on a model yacht I have burgees on most of mine from a footy up an A boat, Ken Binks used to do them and I think Mike Clifton still does or make it yourself, it is visible easily in most conditions I generally have different colours either side and I like to have a safety line on it connecting the burgee to the backstay as in an entanglement they are often removed

Mike Ewart