IOM National Ranking Events

Vinnie Zammit

Graham

I'm afraid late April is too late. The MYA calendar dates and format was put in place to bring order into the process and it was distributed to all concerned. Vinnie and Terry put an enormous amount of effort into pulling together the list of IOM Events and what you see us the finalisation if that. We are working with events that are into 2017 now, there are so many in the UK that we have to do that. Perhaps your ire should be directed elsewhere. Vinnie spent a lot of time talking to our Scittush friends and we were not able to bring it to the conclusion you are suggesting.

There is not a clash and as I've said before folk have to make their own choices about what events to attend. All we can do is provide the best wherewithal to do it, it just has to be accepted that it won't suit everybody all of the time. I'm sure that if you take the opportunity to talk to Vinnie or Terry this weekend they will explain it to you in no uncertain terms.

I will make you an offer, if you'd like to swap with Rob and join the calender production team both Terry and I would be delighted to have you on board and your constructive input will be most welcome. Give it some thought and talk to Terry, Rob and Vinnie and let us know.

Bill Green

MYA Racing Officer

What amazes me, and it maybe just me, is i always thought the ranking lists were put in place to ensure GB sent the top racers to represent their country at International races. I am not sure you have the vane and radio leagues mixed up with ranking leagues?

I am trying to help by suggesting the ranking races should not be set in stone until the MYA know the date of the International race, you got lucky this year. Just trying to encourage you to be a little more proactive and not reactive when in the future the dates do clash and they will do at some time.

"make there own choice" how can this be done if the races do clash?

There is also no reason on earth the Nationals could not move back to the earlier bank holiday now and again to accomodate venues that suffer in the Summer with weed.

I really hope that this is sorted out and look forward to a race back up in Scotland in 2017 maybe......

Graham

You are quite right, it is amazing the calendar gets produced at all. By now you will have established the calender as currently put together is not going to change. At the risk of repeating myself there is a rigorous, well advertised process in place carried out by folk who talk to all of those concerned. Those folk have a clear focus on what needs to be achieved. I've offered you the opportunity that if you feel you have something to add to those working hard on behalf of all of the membership I'm sure you could arrange to take over from Rob and work with us.

I look forward to hearing from you

Bill Green

MYA Racing Officer

Bill,

would love to take up an official position and help out with the calender officially, instead of just voicing my oppinion on the forum (always thought this forum was for doing this).

Unfortunately will have to decline this time around as am far too busy acting as Birkenhead racing secretary arranging IOM ranking races this year and now have to do deal with the 2016 IOM Nationals as the MYA would not consider Scotland on the early bank holiday, the only time they are weed free as pointed out in previous post.

Also have young family and job ties and feel i could not give the amount of time to an official post within the MYA at this time of asking.

I will however stay with the minority of the MYA numbers and use this forum to voice my oppinion in the hope that someone listens to the noise.

Graham

I don't have problem with anyone expressing their thoughts and opinions, you are right that is what Forums are about. I'm sorry you can't join us I'm sure you would be an asset.

I'm sure Vinnie will be talking to Scotland as he did before and we welcome input from all the Districts.

Enjoy the Nat

Bill

Unbelievable...

The point of the ranking list is so GB send the strongest team to continental championships, thanks to Dave Hollom many moons ago.

IOMICA gave the date for the 2016 EUROS in APRIL 2015, look, its on the IOMICA website. This IS early enough.

Bill, what would you of done if the ranking race clashed with the Euros?

In fact you were very lucky that ESP organizing comitee had to postpone the event 1 week.

Look : http://www.iomclass.org/blog/category/events/iom-european-championships/

Dates for IOMICA international events are usually known late January one year ahead.

Olivier Cohen

IOMICA VC Events

As most of us are obviously in agreement that although the current ranking system is not broken but could do with a few small tweeks, someone came up with the brilliant suggestion of taking the Nationals out of the ranking list alltogether.

The suggestion was discussed by a few at this years Nationals and all seemed to agree that it was a good idea.

The Nationals is so strong an event these days that it can stand alone, indeed it attracts so many oversea competitors that prove the suggestion that it need not be on the ranking list, these oversea competitors are not competing for ranking points but enter knowing they will be sailing against the best in the world.

Please give your views on this idea as i would like to propose it.

So if the Nationals are taken out of the Rankings what would be the format of the Rankings events be?

Currently best 4 from 7 count (6 Ranking plus Nationals ) what would the format be if remove Nationals ?

Not saying a bad idea (or good for that matter) but any proposal needs to be more than just remove Nationals from Rankings.