Fun topic: How do I make it onto a super yacht? :D

mala

Hello guys! I hope you had a nice holiday and a good rest. I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience on superyachts.

I was once able to take a look at a super yacht cruise. Unfortunately, only from the outside, but actually it would be so nice if I could enter such a yacht one day. Have you ever seen one of these gigantic yachts from the inside? What is the best entertainment system for yacht cruises you have ever seen? I imagine that the whole equipment you can find in there is made of technical excellence.

I just saw from the outside that there was a huge lounge with a bar and seating lounge and a small “cinema”…it was kind of a gigantic screen on the other side of that lounge. It was probably one of this huge C-Seed TVs because it was not a beamer or anything similar. I would love to have a screen like that at home ;-)

I still don't know how, but somehow I would like to make it onto such a mega yacht. Maybe one of you has some experience on how to do so… thanks already for your answers and legal tips… ;-)

Hey Mala,  

I am lucky enough to already have had twice the chance to get a look inside such a super yacht, as you describe it.

Once in school I had to do an internship abroad and I decided to work in a hotel at the Côte d’Azur. My hotel has been directly opposite of St. Tropez - I don’t know if you have ever heard of this town at the French riviera? It is home to the super rich and wealthy, there you can find an endless number of luxury yachts. I have seen so many unbelievable things over there, for example a sportscar driving out of the front of one of these yachts! One afternoon I strolled around the harbor and walked by another luxury ship, where the owners were standing on deck chatting, while holding their champagne... Suddenly one of them asked me if I would like to have look inside – I was speechless and just nodded. It really looked like a noble hotel room with lots of shiny golden accents on the furniture for example. I was so impressed, that I decided to work as a crewmember on such a yacht after school.

Two years later I applied for a job on an even bigger yacht – with success! I only had little experience on the sea, but I had a degree in tourism including a wine tasting exam, so they were happy to hire me. I spent a whole year on board, and it’s been such a good time!
You are right, apart from jet skis and a hot tub, they also had a huge outdoor entertainment system with one of these large-format foldable TV screens. That has been a whole new entertainment experience to me! 

So, I think this could be an option if you really want to spend some time on a super yacht. But I must mention it is not all happy and luxury... wealthy people can sometimes be quite rude and easily take everything for granted. I mean I was lucky with the couple I worked for, they have always been nice and friendly, but it still is a different world, if you understand what I mean.
But yeah, if you don’t bother polishing cutlery for a whole day or walking a mile to buy exactly that 
brand, they fancy... It’s been a good time still and an amazing experience to me, I don’t want to miss it.  

• Haha 1

Derek Priestley, well I hope Alex will still reply! :D hehe

adventurebythesea, wow, that sounds great! Of course, I know St Tropez. I've been to the French Reviera as well… I really love those little coastal towns over there. And yes, almost everything there is designed for rich people. :D Marseille is the end of the Cote d'Azur, so to speak, and you notice that it's much less rich there. But I actually liked Marseille quite a lot. Especially the Callanques nearby! They are breathtakingly beautiful and I really recommend everyone to go there. It's been a few years for me, but I would definitely go back! I love France in general. And the food is sooo good there!!! I also saw that there is a yacht show in Monaco, I think every year. The latest super yachts are always presented there. I don't know if it's easy to get in, but it's certainly a good opportunity to take a look at some yachts from the inside! :-)

And super cool that you even worked on a yacht once. I don't know if that would be something for me. I would rather be a passenger on the yacht ;-) But I'll have to work a long time to make that dream come true hehehe….

I also remember a colleague who once said that she had lived on a yacht with a rich family. As a kind of au pair. That's not for me either. I'm much too old for that. But the family was so rich that they bought my ex-colleague so much...sunglasses for several hundred euros or whatever she needed...But yes, it's possible that these people feel more important than others and think they're better than others...it's a shame when you've somehow lost touch with your fellow human beings, I think.

But I'm glad to hear that you had such a great time on the yachts. It's certainly something that not everyone can say about themselves. Well, who knows, maybe I'll make it onto a yacht soon! :D Let's see what the new year brings. Thank you for the answers and I wish you all the best for the new year! :D