Digitally Printed 6m - SeaBird

Damian101

Today saw a first for the 6m class - a plastic 6m to the SeaBird design by David Hollom and built by me took to the water.

Plenty of you will have heard the chatter about digitally printed yachts, though we'd do something a bit different and produce a 6m yacht. The hull, keel, rudder and gooseneck arrangement are all digitally printed, a few bits of resin and glass tape reinforce a few bits like the fin and mast step box to the hull. Once built she was primed and sprayed just like any other hull I've built.
SeaBird will be competing in quite a few of the events up and down the country in the coming year, so get your 6 out and come sailing at the many events published on the 6m website. The first on the list was Fleetwood today. The day started with strong gusts across the lake, but the afternoon bough a near perfect wind down the middle, with courses stretching the full length of the lake. John Taylor will be posting a full report on his FB page later.

Today proves this class is certainly alive and at the forefront of technology.

Seabird.jpg

• Like 1

Damian.

Any pictures of the build process and printed components.

It does look more and more likely that 3D printed boats and components will  be a standard build method at some time in the not to distant future.

I know a lot of the current ones are printed in small sections and fitted together but with printers already around that can print full size boats its only a matter of time.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/watch-the-worlds-biggest-3d-printer-make-a-25-foot-boat

Garry

Credit to Damien and Dave H, a very nice yacht made even better because she is a six metre, sailed well in a good range of conditions at Fleetwood yesterday, from outward appearance I couldn't tell she was printed, roll up and get your piggy banks out this is it appears the way to go for small numbers of yachts, Damien is happy to build them for you

Mike Ewart

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly talk to Damien, as I said I was impressed with the quality and finish on Sea Bird ,and at the price point where Damien is a new six completed and measured would work out cheaper than a new IOM, and I certainly have no doubts which way I would go

Mike Ewart