Shipping to Canada

Tom

Hi all. wondering if anyone has shipped an IOM and sails etc to Canada or abroad? (I'm in Canada). Is it a viable endeavor or too cumbersome or expensive)  cheers Tom

Hi Tom,

Have shipped overseas from the UK to Australia, New Zealand & USA, last boat was a Marblehead to Croatia. No real problem really. Need to make up a good box  and ensure the ballast is very well secured. Overall weight and size is within normal carrier ranges BUT: the mast makes things difficult if shipping a rig as well. Still not cheap if fully insured though, but easy to get current prices from such as Parcelforce to name but one.

On the occasions I shipped a complete boat, it was without a mast. Easy to source locally anyway. 

Richard

Just did a quick Google search for parcel to Canada. Cheapest I found was £50. Insurance would increase this. 

Note, it helps if the ballast can be removed from the fin; easier to pack and makes parcel narrower.

Don't forget that the sender will spend time and effort and some expense in boxing up and packaging. Have a look at some suppliers to see what they charge, most of them export all over.

Richard

I am in Canada and have had items shipped from Europe, AUS, NZ, and USA to Canada.

When they arrive they are subject to customs duties and taxes. When the package was shipped via courier (eg FedEx or UPS), there were also customs brokerage fees, but that did not occur when shipped by postal package - so ask the shipper to use the mail service and not a courier.

John

Edited by John Ball
added info

John Ball

IOM CAN 307 (V8)

In my private capacity